This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Barilla®, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #OnePotPasta http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
Sometimes I feel as though my life is going at 100mph. I work full-time, I write The Feisty House, and in my remaining free time, I’m also working my way to becoming a full-fledged entrepreneur, so I don’t have a ton of time during the week to dedicate to keeping house, although I’ve been doing much better. I cook pretty often, but I don’t usually have the time to create really delicious and indulgent meals during the week. Instead, I tend to save those meals for the weekends.
But I just created a quick pasta alla vodka with spicy chicken sausage and fresh mozzarella in maybe 30 minutes. Seriously. And it was all thanks to Barilla® Pronto™ Pasta, a new type of pasta that cooks in 10 minutes without any need to boil the water first or drain the pasta once it’s cooked. Oh, I know, I was skeptical too. And while I was standing in the check-out line at ShopRite, I was seriously contemplating whether this thing was going to work. I mean, how do you cook pasta in cold water? But it does work, and it’s such a timesaver! I made a super delicious pasta in as much time as it takes to find and heat up leftovers!
So here’s the thing about this recipe: it’s really good. The vodka sauce is creamy and delicious and takes less time than making marinara sauce from scratch. To save additional time, you could always just buy a store-bought vodka sauce, which works great too!
Penne Pasta with Vodka Sauce,
Chicken Sausage and Fresh Mozzarella
- 1 box Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta
- 3 cups cold water
- 14 oz. Italian-style chicken sausage
- 1/3 cup minced red onion
- 1/3 cup minced green onion (scallions)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 TBSP butter
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 24 oz vodka sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- Red pepper flakes
- Take the chicken sausage out of the fridge and allow it to come to room temperature as you cut up the onions and garlic.
- Heat the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Saute the onions and garlic in the butter for a minute or two, until fragrant.
- Remove the chicken sausage from its casings and put the meat into the skillet with the onions and garlic. Cook the sausage until nice and brown, crumbling the meat with a spatula as it cooks. Remember, this is chicken sausage, so the meat must be cooked thoroughly, but this only takes maybe 10 or so minutes.
- Once the meat is nice and brown, add your vodka sauce directly to the pan (here’s my recipe for vodka sauce). Add two pinches of salt, then add red pepper flakes (to taste). I also added a bit of dry Italian seasoning, which is a mash-up of basil, marjoram, oregano, and other spices.
- Turn the heat under the skillet to low. Now you’re going to spend the next 10 minutes making the pasta. It’s so easy! Pour the entire box of Barilla® Pronto™ Penne Pasta into another 12″ skillet (use one that’s nice and deep because we’re going to add the sauce directly into this skillet later). Pour the water into the skillet making sure that all the pasta is covered. Add two pinches of salt to the water, turn the burner on high, and set your timer for 10 minutes.
- Stir the pasta occasionally until most of the water has evaporated, which should be right when your timer goes off. Taste the pasta; you should find that it’s surprisingly soft!
- Now add your sauce directly to the skillet with the pasta. Stir to make sure all the pasta is smothered in sauce. Continue to stir the pasta and sauce uncovered until the pasta is heated all the way through (just a minute or two).
- Set the heat under the skillet to low. Add the olive oil to the skillet with the pasta and sauce. Then break the fresh mozzarella into chunks and stir it into the pasta and sauce. Once the cheese has melted, your pasta is ready to serve! Sprinkle a little bit of grated Parmesan cheese on top and enjoy!
I’m telling you right now. This pasta is creamy and delicious and tastes way more indulgent than something that takes only 30 minutes to make! It’s the perfect weeknight meal for busy women. A lot of you who read The Feisty House work full-time and spend your evenings working on your blogs or entrepreneurial projects, so on those nights you’re pressed for time, but want some comfort food, try using Barilla® Pronto™ Pasta to recreate this recipe! You’ll be oh, so glad you did! And until 5/16/15, you can buy any four Barilla® Pronto™ pasta products for $5.00 (or $1.25 each) at ShopRite while supplies last!